Why Have a Stated Mission and Vision?
Through our mission, vision and other documents, we at Watoto Kicheko wish to define our purpose as an NGO, to convey what we believe in, what our goals and aspirations are, and how we intend to achieve these ends to the best of our abilities.
Watoto Kicheko Orphanage’s Mission
Watoto Kicheko Orphanage’s mission is to improve the lives of the community. Providing a safe place for vulnerable babies and young children is one of our main aims. At Watoto Kicheko Orphanage we believe that, where possible, children should be in a family, ideally their own. Therefore, assisting families in adequately caring for their children is a huge part of our mission.
Watoto Kicheko Orphanage’s Vision
- To provide a safe, caring and loving environment for children aged 0-3 years (regardless of HIV status or disability), who are vulnerable, orphaned or abandoned.
- To strive to place our children back into their family home; where this is not possible we would hope for adoption. If neither of the above are possible the child would be welcome to remain at Watoto Kicheko.
- To strive to get sponsorship for each child and staff member; to sponsor the child’s care and education and the staffs wages.
- To implement a community-involved effort to care for orphaned, abandoned and vulnerable babies and young children.
- To use local resources and seek to become self-reliant in energy and food.
- To strive to relocate children into their family units.
- To provide training in the care of infants for mothers and carers.
- To acquire adequate buildings, grounds, vehicles, farm land, fences and playgrounds.
- To hire and adequately pay trained staff who care for their assigned children.
- To hire office staff who keep records and documents on each child.
- To make available nurses and medical volunteers.
- To seek, screen and train volunteers.
- Watoto Kicheko Orphanage’s vision for the future is a well -run, staffed, funded organization that benefits the mothers, children and the community as well.